I am all about it. Its the fall. Its crisp outside. The sun isn’t up until 9 pm and we can finally break out to sweaters! But the Best part about October? Halloween and spooky season of course! I don’t limit my spook to Autumn but this is the season where it seems like its more…acceptable to share my Spooky girl obsessions. One of those obsessions is spooky stores and since this year there isn’t going to be nearly as much sitting around camp fires telling ghost stories this year, podcasts are more needed and blessed then ever.
Please be aware, some of these podcasts are really disturbing. They can include all kinds of triggering material so make sure that you are listening to the disclaimers if you are sensitive about any topics. Most people know that I dont get squeamish about most things so these can get graphic.
- Fresh Hell: Two women, from opposite sides of the Atlantic, talk about murder, mystery and the macabre. This is your international true crime podcast, hosted by Annie and Johanna. This is not a typical crime podcast and will bring up old cases and cases that you have never heard about before. Its not going to talk about your typical Ted Bundies and Chris Watts’s.
- Lore: Each podcast episode features various stories bound together by a common theme. Mahnke spends an average of 20 hours a week researching the folkloric tales and has stated, “All of the material is from documented stories or historical events. Some are ancient and some are modern, but they are all factual in the sense that people reported these things and believed they were true.”
- Wine and Crime: Three friends “Drink wine, chat true crime and unleash their worst Minnesotan accent.” I love it. These are three friends getting drunk and chatting true crime, just like it says. Its like your weirdest (Best) friends are getting drunk with you and talking about true crime, complete with tangents. Or is this something only I do with my friends? Either way I have totally had to stop my run because I was laughing so hard.
- Supernatural with Ashley Flowers: Getting away from Just true crime that she talks about on Crime Junkie, Flowers gets more into the creepy in this podcast from unsolved to conspiracy theories all the way to UFO sightings.
- Snap Judgement: Spooked: An NPR podcast Spooked features true-life supernatural stories, told firsthand by people who can barely believe it happened themselves. Be afraid.
- Cults: Think that you would never join a cult? You might be in one and not even know. Both with historical cults like that Hells Gate and modern ones like NIXIUM you are going to be surprised at just how many cults there are in the world and how many of them are still around.
Of course I am always looking for new Podcasts so if you have recommendations for myself or for everyone else, drop it below!