Its a go-to. A staple. Something that you can always count on. You can make it anyway that you like. White, saucy, tones of cheese or meats, vegetarian or vegan.
But what really makes a pizza? Well if you want my, I’m not ashamed to say, expert (At least when it comes to eating it) opinion, I’m going to have to go with the crust. You can have the best toppings in the world but if you don’t have a proper crust, its going to taste like cardboard every time. You can spend tons of cash on one of the store bought ones but they just don’t have the same taste and texture as a homemade crust.
Making a pizza crust is surprisingly easy and when it comes to a pizza night, there is no reason to go the other way.
Basic Pizza Crust Recipe:
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons self rising yeast
- 2 cups luke warm water
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups all purpose flour*
- In a large bowl add yeast, sugar water and salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add flour and combine thoroughly.
- Place on a well floured surface and kneed for five minutes.
- Place dough back into lightly oiled bowl and cover for one hour or until it is doubled in size.
- Take dough out and punch down. Divide into 8 ounce or fist sized balls and place on lightly floured pan.
- Cover again and let rest for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 400 F
- Once you have all of your toppings ready, roll out balls until about 9 inches. Put toppings on them (Make sure you are on a pan you are going to put into the oven so they dont stretch and make them hard to move with the weight of the toppings.
- Place in oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out and enjoy!
*note: whole wheat or other flours will be drier so if using be sure to pay attention to your moisture.