Watermelon is great. It is such a versatile fruit and is an icon of summer, bringing back memories of the beach, laying out in the grass and fireworks late at night. Not to mention that is has so many health benefits that can really move you forward during the hot summer months.
1: Hydration: It keeps you hydrated like no ones business. Watermelon is 92% water without actually having to guzzle.
2: Vitamins and compounds: While a ton of watermelon is nice juicy water, that doesn’t take away from the nutrietins in it.
- Vitamin C: 21% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
- Vitamin A: 18% of the RDI
- Potassium: 5% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 4% of the RDI
- Vitamins B1, B5 and B6: 3% of the RDI
- Lycopene: antioxidant gives a red color to plant foods such as tomatoes and watermelon.
- Cucurbitacin E: antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
3. May Reduce Muscle Soreness: Hello my fellow runners. Citrulline, an amino acid in watermelon, may reduce muscle soreness. It’s also available as a supplement. In a small study, athletes were given plain water melon juice and water. The ones who were given watermelon juice had less muscle soreness and quicker heart rate recovery.
These are just three of the less known ones. Vitimins A and C are good for your skin and hair. The amount of water and fiber help with digestion and promote regular, healthy bowel movements.
Okay so all of these sound great. But there is only so much plain watermelon you probably want to eat. Maybe. I dont know. I eat alot of it. either way lets talk variety! Here are three ways that I use watermelon during the summer. They are a hit at parties, by the pool and just by myself.
Note that not all of these are healthy. They are all, however, delicious and take less than five minutes to make.
Feta Watermelon Salad:
- Watermelon chopped into cubes
- 1 block of feta crumbled
- 10 Julianne mint leafs.
Toss all of these together in a large bowl and serve.
- 1/2 seedless watermelon
- juice of one lime
- sparkling water
In a high speed blender, blend watermelon and add lime juice. Pour watermelon juice into cup and slowly add sparkling water. Enjoy!
- 1 watermelon cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup of vodka
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 12 mint leaves muddled
Dissolve sugar into vodka. Toss cubes of watermelon in mixture with mint leafs. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. If you want you can either eat it in chunks or blend it together.